Didja hear about Wendy Davis? Remember her? She was the woman who filibustered that awful Texas abortion bill and a became a national political celebrity overnight. Then, she ran for governor of Texas. She had a very catchy story: divorced teenage mom living in a trailer park overcomes the odds to work herself through law school and becomes a politician to fight for the rights of women like her. Well, it turns out that she’s a great big liar.
Wendy Davis was never a single teenage mom. She didn’t get divorced until she was 21, at which point she lived with her mom for a short while before getting an apartment.
Wendy Davis didn’t work her way through law school, but married a rich guy who spent all his savings on paying for her education, who she then apparently divorced a short time after she graduated (some dubious Republican sources suggest she filed a week after his last payment went through).
Here’s a fun one: Wendy Davis was a Republican up until 2008 when an opportunity to run for state senate presented itself and she switched parties. That fact was never really covered up, but it was never highlighted either, but in the wake of all these other lies coming to the surface, I feel like it calls into question whether or not Wendy Davis is just a career politician.
Wendy Davis is falling back on the whole “I wasn’t as a clear as I should’ve been” excuse. To be honest, a career politician who stands up for women’s rights is better than a Republican on any day of the week, but I was under the admittedly cautious impression that Wendy Davis might signal a change in Texas politics, a state that has seen a great deal of lies and shallow political theater from its electorate. Oh well.
You know what? No, Dion. I can’t let you buy this. You’ve taken what the Right has said about Wendy Davis, and you’ve swallowed it, hook line and sinker.
She still left home when she was 17, got married when she was just 18, and she was 21 when she was divorced, not 19. Big deal. 21 year-olds are just as terrified about life as 19 year-olds are, and 21 is incredibly, incredibly young to be on your own like that. She lived in a trailer when she got out. Not as long as she said initially said she did, maybe, but she still lived in that damn trailer. Her mother may not have had a 6th grade education, she had a 9th grade education.
What a fucking liar, amirite?
The fact is, Davis still came from nothing, and rose to be something. Davis was a teenage bride, and a young single mother, living in a trailer. That is true. That is admirable, and anyone who can’t see that because of a few fuzzy details? I just don’t know, man.
Now we get to the fun stuff; how Davis managed to pull herself out of poverty and how she managed to pay for law school. Davis’s ex-husband says she milked him for every bit of cash he had. He says he paid for her education and she left him the very next day. Davis’s husband is one hell of a sad country love song.
1. The article that broke this story only interviewed Davis’s husband on his side of the story. Now, ex-husbands generally don’t have the best impression of their ex-wives. Maybe it’s my experience that is going to tell me this, but ex-husbands, especially ex-husbands that complain about their money being gone, are generally full of shit. There’s a reason she left him, and it is simply wrong (not to mention misogynistic) to not extend the benefit of the doubt to her and assume she’s a money-grubbing whore. There’s another side to this story, that is glaringly obvious, if you have any kind of experience with families that have broken up.
2. It is sexist to criticize Wendy Davis for moving on up in this world through marriage. The pay gap is real. The WEALTH gap is real. Women have few tools available to themselves to gain ground for themselves — their chances are even less, if they’re a) starting out poor, and b) live in a state as unforgiving towards the poor as TEXAS, and c) are young single mothers that by definition don’t have the support needed to really sink oneself into one’s career or education. So she got married, and in doing so, propelled herself into the middle class. She got her child out of that trailer park and she made a life for herself. Go her.
3. It is sexist to claim that she was using HIS money to pay for her law school degree, that he’s a victim here. Money, in a relationship, is generally a joint affair. A woman who does not contribute to the real income of a household but spends all her time educating herself so that she can prepare to have a better future than the one they have now — she is not a silent partner in this relationship. She is not a dependent. That money he earns as the primary breadwinner? It’s half hers. Childcare and home-making (as well as the investment she was putting into herself for their future) are forms of unpaid labor. To suggest that he’s a victim here, instead of a husband, is misogynistic.
To conclude: you have been hoodwinked by conservative, sexist smear-mongers who want nothing more than to paint Wendy Davis as a greedy, bitchy ex-wife who’s after nothing but her hard working ex-husband’s money. They want to do this to her especially bad since Davis has built her political career on defending women’s reproductive rights. They’re just itching to put her in her place. And you’ve allowed them to spread their message, with this post.
They don’t CARE about the fact that women are most likely going to rally around Wendy Davis, because women’s votes, in Texas, don’t matter any more. This is a blatantly sexist attack on a female politician who has done what she needs to do in order to rise through life. The path to success for a woman looks different than the path to success for a man. That’s not the woman’s fault — that’s society’s fault.
I think I’d actually pour molten lava into my ears so I wouldn’t have to hear dionthebrocialist give me his opinion on Wendy Davis, or any woman, or anything ever
Everyone remembers this is the same jagoff who said he doesn’t understand how vanilla sex works, shits on sex negative feminists, has told women who tell him it’s inappropriate to call himself a feminist to suck his dick, right?
1. Who was the last person you held hands with?
2. Are you outgoing or shy?
3. Who are you looking forward to seeing?
4. Are you easy to get along with?
5. If you were drunk would the person you like take care of you?
6. What kind of people are you attracted to?
7. Do you think you’ll be in a relationship two months from now?
8. Who from the opposite gender is on your mind?
9. Does talking about sex make you uncomfortable?
10. Who was the last person you had a deep conversation with?
11. What does the most recent text that you sent say?
12. What are your 5 favorite songs right now?
13. Do you like it when people play with your hair?
14. Do you believe in luck and miracles?
15. What good thing happened this summer?
16. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again?
17. Do you think there is life on other planets?
18. Do you still talk to your first crush?
19. Do you like bubble baths?
20. Do you like your neighbors?
21. What are you bad habits?
22. Where would you like to travel?
23. Do you have trust issues?
24. Favorite part of your daily routine?
25. What part of your body are you most uncomfortable with?
26. What do you do when you wake up?
27. Do you wish your skin was lighter or darker?
28. Who are you most comfortable around?
29. Have any of your ex’s told you they regret breaking up?
30. Do you ever want to get married?
31. If your hair long enough for a pony tail?
32. Which celebrities would you have a threesome with?
33. Spell your name with your chin.
34. Do you play sports? What sports?
35. Would you rather live without TV or music?
36. Have you ever liked someone and never told them?
37. What do you say during awkward silences?
38. Describe your dream girl/guy?
39. What are your favorite stores to shop in?
40. What do you want to do after high school?
41. Do you believe everyone deserves a second chance?
42. If your being extremely quiet what does it mean?
43. Do you smile at strangers?
44. Trip to outer space or bottom of the ocean?
45. What makes you get out of bed in the morning?
46. What are you paranoid about?
47. Have you ever been high?
48. Have you ever been drunk?
49. Have you done anything recently that you hope nobody finds out about?
50. What was the colour of the last hoodie you wore?
51. Ever wished you were someone else?
52. One thing you wish you could change about yourself?
53. Favourite makeup brand?
54. Favourite store?
55. Favourite blog?
56. Favourite colour?
57. Favourite food?
58. Last thing you ate?
59. First thing you ate this morning?
60. Ever won a competition? For what?
61. Been suspended/expelled? For what?
62. Been arrested? For what?
63. Ever been in love?
64. Tell us the story of your first kiss?
65. Are you hungry right now?
66. Do you like your tumblr friends more than your real friends?
67. Facebook or Twitter?
68. Twitter or Tumblr?
69. Are you watching tv right now?
70. Names of your bestfriends?
71. Craving something? What?
72. What colour are your towels?
72. How many pillows do you sleep with?
73. Do you sleep with stuffed animals?
74. How many stuffed animals do you think you have?
75. Favourite animal?
76. What colour is your underwear?
77. Chocolate or Vanilla?
78. Favourite ice cream flavour?
79. What colour shirt are you wearing?
80. What colour pants?
81. Favourite tv show?
82. Favourite movie?
83. Mean Girls or Mean Girls 2?
84. Mean Girls or 21 Jump Street?
85. Favourite character from Mean Girls?
86. Favourite character from Finding Nemo?
87. First person you talked to today?
88. Last person you talked to today?
89. Name a person you hate?
90. Name a person you love?
91. Is there anyone you want to punch in the face right now?
92. In a fight with someone?
93. How many sweatpants do you have?
94. How many sweaters/hoodies do you have?
95. Last movie you watched?
96. Favourite actress?
97. Favourite actor?
98. Do you tan a lot?
99. Have any pets?
100. How are you feeling?
101. Do you type fast?
102. Do you regret anything from your past?
103. Can you spell well?
104. Do you miss anyone from your past?
105. Ever been to a bonfire party?
106. Ever broken someone’s heart?
107. Have you ever been on a horse?
108. What should you be doing?
109. Is something irritating you right now?
110. Have you ever liked someone so much it hurt?
111. Do you have trust issues?
112. Who was the last person you cried in front of?
113. What was your childhood nickname?
114. Have you ever been out of your province/state?
115. Do you play the Wii?
116. Are you listening to music right now?
117. Do you like chicken noodle soup?
118. Do you like Chinese food?
119. Favourite book?
120. Are you afraid of the dark?
121. Are you mean?
122. Is cheating ever okay?
123. Can you keep white shoes clean?
124. Do you believe in love at first sight?
125. Do you believe in true love?
126. Are you currently bored?
127. What makes you happy?
128. Would you change your name?
129. What your zodiac sign?
130. Do you like subway?
131. Your bestfriend of the opposite sex likes you, what do you do?
132. Who’s the last person you had a deep conversation with?
133. Favourite lyrics right now?
134. Can you count to one million?
135. Dumbest lie you ever told?
136. Do you sleep with your doors open or closed?
137. How tall are you?
138. Curly or Straight hair?
139. Brunette or Blonde?
140. Summer or Winter?
141. Night or Day?
142. Favourite month?
143. Are you a vegetarian?
144. Dark, milk or white chocolate?
145. Tea or Coffee?
146. Was today a good day?
147. Mars or Snickers?
148. What’s your favourite quote?
149. Do you believe in ghosts?
150. Get the closest book next to you, open it to page 42, what’s the first line on that page? (via attractiveblogger)
ask me something guys!!